Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Working with Daddy

Mommy said that she needed some time away with her friend Rian. I'm to call her "Mrs. Moody" when I can talk, but no one has taught me about proper introductions, so I stick to Aunt Rian in my mind right now. Cultural protocol can be a bit strange...

Well, anyways, Daddy took me out on the town! I had so much fun. I went to "Pappa Wakka"'s house and got to see him and my step-grandmother. She didn't look like anybody had stepped on her or that she was doing any stepping, but I digress...

Pictures...you want pictures...oh I see...the fact that I have such a solid vocabulary at seven weeks isn't enough for you...OK then...



I had a generally good time at Pappa Wakka's (PW for short). PW was holding me here and below I start to get angry. It wasn't anything against him or anything. I was starting to get frustrated that I couldn't talk and interact.















On the way home, I went to Daddy's work, and he taught me about how he models stuff. He's using UML in this picture. UML is short for "Unified Modeling Language" a way to model abstract concepts so that people know what you're talking about. He was explaining how they took a composition approach to their ownership model instead of an inheritance approach. I commented that the inheritance approach seemed like the more intuitive approach, and he agreed. He then explained to me how their approach to O/R mapping was tightly coupled to the database which prevented them from using Martin Fowler's Class Table Inheritance pattern.
I'm a pretty smart baby, but I had to see it in the code. I couldn't just look at the UML and pick everything up. I'm only seven weeks old, mind you. So Daddy opened up Visual Studio 2005 and showed me around the codebase. After a few minutes everything became clear except for one thing: How come Daddy spent all that time in school to learn this stuff? It all seemed pretty intuitive to me. I can't talk yet, but I can understand at least a few Design Patterns. Am I missing something? Comments????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who says I can't type? Do you think my mom & dad do all my typing for me or something?

Anonymous said...

Samuel, I love your blog! And understood nothing when you started talking about your daddy's modeling stuff, or whatever. And yes, Daniel, you are stupid. I am too, though, so don't feel bad.